The Greater Boston Food Bank (GBFB) is the largest hunger relief organization in New England and among the largest food banks in the country. GBFB’s mission is to End Hunger Here in eastern Massachusetts, and our strategic objective is to provide at least ONE MEAL A DAY to everyone in need in eastern Massachusetts.
The part-time Volunteer Associate assists in managing GBFB’s evening, weekend, and weekday volunteer shifts ensuring volunteers have a positive experience. S/he welcomes, trains, and assists volunteers (individuals and groups) in inspecting, sorting and repacking donated food products. As part of the Community Engagement Team, the Associate provides a high level of customer service in responding to internal and external inquiries and requests with regard to volunteer relations. S/he is part of a rotating schedule to support the role of Receptionist, Production Specialist, and project support as needed during weeknight and weekend volunteer shifts. Supports GBFB’s mission to end hunger here.
- Communicate GBFB's mission and messaging to diverse populations both in volunteer recruitment, trainings, and presentations to groups.
- Meet and greet volunteers.
- Conduct volunteer orientation which include overview of GBFB’s work, warehouse safety, safe-food handling, and project training.
- Assign projects to experienced volunteers, as needed.
- Engage volunteers in Product Reclamation; Retail Rescue; Backpack, Brown Bag, and CSFP packing projects; complete Volunteer Work Orders as assigned.
- Assist with volunteer questions and issues as they arise, ensuring that all volunteers have a positive volunteer experience.
- Conduct shift closing with all volunteers to share the group’s impact, including amount of pounds sorted and meals provided.
- Assist with physical close-down of all areas in the building that have been used during the shift.
- Communicate support needs to Warehouse Manager on Duty, as needed.
- Data entry
- Assist in handling emergencies.
- Cover Front Desk Receptionist shift as needed
- Serve as an active member of the Volunteer team and contribute to the development and refinement of processes and procedures.
- Other tasks as needed, including but not limited to: working off-site, special projects, cleaning or assisting with special events.