The Greater Boston Food Bank (GBFB) is the largest hunger relief organization in New England and among the largest food banks in the country. GBFB’s mission is to End Hunger Here in eastern Massachusetts, and our strategic objective is to provide at least ONE MEAL A DAY to everyone in need in eastern Massachusetts.
The Board and Governance Coordinator is supervised by and provides governance support, as well as some administrative support, to the Senior Staff Director (SSD), who reports to the CEO. This position primarily involves managing board and committee meeting materials, tracking and updating other board and governance related documents and having primary responsibility for the maintenance, uploading and enhancement of the board software portal used by board members. These tasks involve editing, creating and updating documents (word, power points and excel spreadsheets) related to the work of the board and several committees, identifying processes and materials to upload onto the board software portal, playing a lead role in creating additional tools to streamline and facilitate the work of the committees, and providing whatever support board and committee members need as they fulfill their commitment to the Greater Boston Food Bank, including technical support on the software. In addition, this position will provide some general administrative support to the SSD such as managing calendars, preparation of meeting materials, coordinating gifts for departing board members, and some expense report support. The Board and Governance Coordinator might work in collaboration with others as needed, at the direction of the Senior Staff Director.
- Responsible for maintaining confidentiality with all information and communications.
- At the direction of the Senior Staff Director (SSD), support the creation and uploading of materials onto a board software portal (BoardEffect) for quarterly meetings of the Board of Directors and numerous Committees as well as for board member engagement (such as photos, news articles and upcoming events). (Training on BoardEffect will be provided.) This includes agenda and materials preparation, tracking quorum requirements and rsvp’s, updating workroom libraries with appropriate governance and educational materials for board engagement, and exploring additional features of BoardEffect.
- Identify ways in which the board software portal use can be enhanced and create uploading protocols for materials both to support corporate governance requirements but also to increase board member engagement and education. In addition, this position will involve offering BoardEffect trainings in board orientations, board meetings and individually, as needed, by licensed users, including staff.
- Provide detail-oriented oversight of numerous governance documents as changes are required, notifying other internal departments of needed changes, tracking minutes through the approval stage, tracking signed Conflict of Interest and Code of Conduct documents, providing the Events Team with headcounts in advance of meetings, and assisting the SSD in preparation of materials for fall and spring board member orientations.
- In consultation with the SSD, setting the calendar for the approximately fifty annual Board and Committee meeting dates, and working with other team members to coordinate schedules.
- Responsible for management and storage of the corporate records, under the supervision of the SSD. This will involve reviewing remaining archived documents, both in storage and electronically, following a protocol for document retention that is consistent with best practices and GBFB’s document retention policy, and purging unneeded materials.
- Provide the following administrative support to the SSD: material preparation for bi-weekly Senior Leadership meetings, including drafting agendas, and editing materials, as needed; scheduling of meetings, and some calendar management; assistance with annual board budget and re-forecast, as well as tracking invoices for board-related expenses and occasional offsite expenses.
- Possible enhanced role with the Emeriti Board to guide them in an individual project, such as creating a history video of GBFB.
- Careful tracking of tasks assigned, often through emails, and ability to update progress regularly. This position may involve a significant amount of time working remotely, and so communicating clearly through emails which tasks are in process or completed will be important.
- Responsible for always inter-facing with board and committee members in a gracious and polite manner, whether by phone, email or in person.
- Maintain electronic and paper files as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by management.