Lead the department responsible for planning strategies, actions and research aimed at linking healthy food with health outcomes of food insecure individuals in E. Massachusetts. This includes but is not limited to: monitoring and communicating changes in the health care system that impact GBFB’s target population; identifying and overseeing research opportunities based on healthy food interventions (either conducted by GBFB or through partnerships with other experts in the identified field); collaboration with GBFB’s Distribution Services to develop programs specific to health improvement opportunities; identifying key partners and creating opportunities for collaboration; promoting food insecurity screening and tools, information or policy to address the need and provide ultimate resolution. The Senior Director will also oversee GBFB’s Nutrition team and work to support internal GBFB nutrition policy as well as member agency capacity in terms of nutrition education, public health resources, and vehicles to connect food pantries with the health sector. Additionally, this role will be responsible for identifying key relationships, research and initiatives occurring in E. Massachusetts, Massachusetts and the nation around health and hunger initiatives and participating, as practical, in those that will advance the GBFB mission of "Ending Hunger Here". As a department leader, this role is intended to influence the direction, culture and actions of the organization both internally and externally.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- In conjunction with COO and SVP of Distribution Services, develop strategy and identify potential tactics for reaching food insecure individuals using resources within the GBFB network or through other relationships committed to healthy outcomes for these individuals.
- Participate actively in GBFB leadership interaction to understand and support the strategic direction of the organization. Lead the design and execution of strategic and tactical direction and parameters for Health and Research as it relates to the overall goals of GBFB.
- Manage a team of research and nutrition expertise that will further advance GBFB’s role in hunger relief, nutrition and understanding the link between healthy food and healthy outcomes.
- With team member expertise, identify and establish research opportunities aimed at better understanding the relationship between hunger and health impacts.
- Identify subject matter experts and participate in or create venues for advancing dialogue and action around the relationship between hunger relief and healthy outcomes. Cultivate research partnerships with external academic/medical organizations.
- With GBFB team members, define, construct or support research specific to hunger, health and cost impacts being mindful to insure response tactics that can be operationalized, scalable and sustainable.
- Conduct on-going review of existing, relevant literature or active research that would advance and inform programs targeted at reaching food insecure individuals through health care settings.
- Work to build communication vehicles between the health sector and our core network of food pantries and other member agencies. Identify, operationalize, and scale technology solutions to create clinical-community linkages.
- Work closely with GBFB’s Communication and Government Affairs department to identify policy opportunities that would strengthen clinical-community connections for healthy food.
- Inform our core network of food pantries and other member agencies about changing health policies that may impact them, available public health resources, or opportunities to connect with the medical world.
- Collaborate with GBFB Marketing and Revenue teams on health care messaging that would engage donors and other supporters. Assist in development of production materials as needed
- Participate actively with GBFB Operations’ team to provide learnings that would impact food acquisition and distribution of healthy food.
- Strong communication of activities and timelines to manage expectations of all stakeholders
- Identify critical partnerships advancing infrastructure for clinical or feeding community collaboration (such as technology) Identify and/or speak to best practices through interactions and visits with other food banks; medical community; industry conferences and trade shows and professional organizations.
- Work directly with Board Committees or Councils as assigned.
- All other duties as assigned by Management.